Baked Brie with Keto Cherry Jelly Recipe
Makes 8 servings | Category: Keto Appetizers & Snacks
- 1 cherry tea bag
- 2 tsp grass-fed powdered gelatine
- ⅓ cup Swerve confectioners’-style sweetener or equivalent amount of liquid or powdered sweetener (recipe notes)
- 2 tsp cherry extract
- ⅛ tsp citric acid (for natural preservation and sour taste)
- A few drops of natural red food colouring (optional)
- 1¾ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup blanched almond flour
- ⅛ tsp fine sea salt
- 1 (227g/8 oz) wheel Brie cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped pecans
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Bring 1 cup of water to a boil in a teakettle to make the jelly. Place the tea bag in a cup and fill it halfway with hot water. Allow it to steep for a few minutes before removing the tea bag.
- In a bowl, combine 2 tbsp cool water. Allow the gelatine to soften for a few minutes after sifting it over the water. Combine the softened gelatine with the brewed tea.
- Stir the sweetener into the tea mixture to combine. If desired, taste and add more sweetener.
- Stir in the extract, citric acid, and food colouring, if using, to combine. Allow to cool for at least 2 hours on the counter before using.
- To make the dough, in a microwave-safe bowl, combine the mozzarella and butter and microwave for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the cheese is completely melted. Stir everything together thoroughly.
- Mix in the egg thoroughly with a hand mixer. Combine the almond flour and salt in a mixing bowl. Work it with your hands like a traditional dough, kneading it for about 3 minutes. (Note: If the dough is too sticky, chill it for an hour or overnight in the refrigerator.)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F and place a pizza stone (or a baking sheet, but a pizza stone will bake the bottom better).
- Place the dough on a greased sheet of parchment paper and pat it out with your hands to form a large circle, approximately 10 inches in diameter, or a rectangle, approximately 8 by 10 inches. This dough may be difficultto roll out, but it is extremely forgiving. Wrap the Brie in the dough.
- Place the wrapped Brie on the parchment paper on the hot stone in the oven. 10 to 12 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
- Cover the top of the baked Brie with the cherry jelly. If desired, garnish with chopped pecans and parsley.
- This dish is best served fresh, but any leftovers can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat for 5 minutes in a preheated 180°C/350°F oven or toaster oven, or until the cheese is melted.
- Calories: 44kcal
- Fat: 3.6g (0.9g S.Fat)
- Carbs: 2.3g
- Protein: 1.4g
- Sugar: 0.3g
- Sodium: 449mg
Citric acid can be found in natural food stores. It's a natural preservative with a delicious sour flavour.